Current minimum specification and examples of currently available suitable devices.
Information for parents of students in Year 10 from January 2017.
We are encouraging students in Year 10 to bring their own device to school each day from January.
Please note whilst we welcome students bringing in their own devices, they should not be bringing in chargers or charging their own devices in school. Students are encouraged to bring in their own portable power packs, which can be plugged in to their devices if extra charge is needed. They should never be plugging in their own devices to the school’s electricity supply.
The current minimum specification for devices is as follows:
- Android devices with ‘kitkat’ or later versions of Android
- I-pad mini version 2 or later
The minimum wi-fi connectivity specification for the devices is a/b/g/n also referred to as 5GHz, however ac is desirable.
Examples of devices currently available that meet this specification include:
- iPad mini V2 or above from approximately £219. Widely available
- ACER B1-850 Iconia One 8″ Tablet – 16 GB,
- ACER Iconia One 10.1″ Tablet – 16 GB
- ACER Iconia A3-A40 10.1″
- ASUS Z380M 8″ Tablet – 16 GB,
- ASUS ZenPad Z300M 10.1″ Tablet – 16 GB
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A Tablet, Android M, 10.1″, 16GB, Wi-Fi
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, Octa-Core Exynos, Android, 8″, Wi-Fi, 2GB,
- ASUS E200HA 11.6″ Laptop
- ASUS Chromebook C201PA, 2GB RAM, 16GB, 11.6″
If you have any technical queries (e.g. does the device I already own meet the requirements) contact BYOD@damealiceowens.herts.sch.uk