- July 2021
Intermediate and Junior Maths Challenges
Congratulations to all those students who achieved so highly in the Intermediate and Junior Maths Challenges including all of those who then went on to win certificates in the Kangaroo and Olympiads! There were 59 Bronze and 69 Silver Junior Maths Challenge awards with 39 Juniors sitting the Kangaroo. IN the Intermediate Challenge, special mention must go the 10 students who achieved a merit in the Grey and Pink Kangaroos as well as to Matei Pirtac who was awarded a Merit in the Cayley Olympiad.
- 9th – 11th July 2021
National English Schools Athletics Championships
Congratulations to five Owen’s students who competed at the National English Schools Athletics Championships on the 9th-11th July in Manchester where we competed in Javelin, 1500m, Triple Jump, 3000m and High Jump.
Evelyne was in a tough Senior Girls High Jump competition finishing in the top 12 in the UK. Freya had a really tough 3000m final in a surprisingly hot Manchester, the pace was quick and there was a group of eight who broke off. Freya ran really well and finished a brilliant 4th in her final year. One of our Year 10 students was in a tough competition in the Triple Jump, missed the cut off and finished 9th. Aimi had a highly competitive 1500m race where she ran strong and finished a fantastic 2nd with a brilliant time of 4.26.85 meaning she has now been picked to represent England in the England Schools International match later this year. Milo Grigson was our final student to compete over the weekend going into the competition ranked 16th in the UK. Milo threw a fantastic 40.68m to finish in 7th position! We are all very super proud of you all!
- July 2021
News from the PE department:
A massive congratulations to Year 10 GCSE PE student Alfie Reynolds who represented Middlesex U18 at the South East regional Golf tournament this term. The tournament took place over two days at Kings Hill golf course in Kent and consisted of two rounds using the medal scoring system. Alfie did extremely well finishing with the best score for Middlesex in round one and the second best score for Middlesex in round two. Considering that Alfie was playing against some older students, he did particularly well and the PE department is extremely proud of this achievement. Alfie is now competing in the England South Boys – Faldo Series, 12th -14th July.
A special mention goes to Alex Lockett in Year 9 who competed in the Junior National Longbow British Outdoor Championships. The competition took place over two days. The first day, despite torrential downpours all day, she won with a score of 353, some 125 points ahead of second place. The second day Alex created two new national records! Well done Alex!
- 16th July 2021
End of Half Term Newsletter Now Available!
Thanks to our Parent Volunteer Newsletter Editor, Lynn Bath, for pulling together all the articles which reflect another amazing half term at Owen’s! Please see our School Newsletters page!
Wishing you all a restful summer!
- June 2021
The 2021 Junior Summer Concert and the 2021 Senior Summer Concert.
Following a fabulous set of Year Group [email protected] concerts in the first half of term, Owen’s musicians continued to work hard to create the programme for two more concerts, the 2021 Junior Summer Concert and the 2021 Senior Summer Concert.
It was a wonderful, varied feast of music demonstrating how, even when split into Year group bubbles, Owen’s musicians have the commitment, talent and teamwork to produce exciting performances. Our thanks to all the ensemble leaders, ensemble assistants and accompanists.
To watch either of these amazing concerts, click here:
- 27th May 2021
- 26th May 2021
Here at Dame Alice Owen’s, we are extremely proud of Anahitha Vijay in Year 13 who won the CyberCenturion National Finals with her team. Anahitha was awarded an all-expenses paid trip to the USA with ‘Northrop Grumman’, an aerospace company, to visit the Pentagon and the NASA space research facility.
- May 2021
A special mention to:
- Year 12 student Abbie Cook attended a Model UN Conference – an academic simulation of the United Nations in which students play the role of delegates. Abbie represented Pakistan and the conference debated the use of drones. We are proud to announce that Abbie was recognised with the ‘Outstanding Delegate Award’
- The Design and Technology Department would like to congratulate Alfie Robinson in Year 10 for his winning entry in a competition organised by Buttle’s Building Supplies. Alfie’s design of a NHS Super Hero can be seen in all branches of the company as well as in the national Builders Merchant Federation magazine.
- This year’s Rotary Young Writer Competition was embraced by both intermediate and senior students at Dame Alice Owen’s. Working with the theme of ‘My Happiest Day’, students began formulating their thoughts and planning their writing. The theme was a welcome reprieve from what has been a somewhat challenging time for all. We are pleased to announce that Hayden Cohen won the Intermediate category and Arta Kurti won the Senior category in the local heats. Both entries have been submitted for District judging.
- A-Level student Rajan Shukla who has been selected to play for the England U18 Hockey squad. What a fantastic achievement and we wish you all the very best.
- 22nd April 2021
Dame Alice Owen’s School Maths Feast Success!
Dame Alice Owen’s came first place in the Hertfordshire Year 10 Maths Feast on April 22nd 2021. The AMSP run Maths Feast featured 27 teams from various schools in Hertfordshire. The feast consisted of 4 difficult rounds, all of which involved teamwork and individual problem solving in order to complete the diverse questions. Our team of four stole first place in the final round. This round consisted of a round-robin type round with different mathematical questions being passed round the team. Their exceptional teamwork led to a fantastic win. Well done team ‘Owenians’.
- Monday 22nd March 2021
– Josh Gearing (percussion) in Y11 who has been invited to join the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain for their Spring and Summer courses.
– Isaac Scheer (trombone) for reaching the finals of the Royal College of Music Junior Department soloist competition.
– Gabriella Bavetta in Y12 for winning 1ST PRIZE in BOTH the Concerto class AND the Recital class at the recent Coulsdon & Purley Music Festival. In addition she was awarded the Caterham Trophy in recognition of the brilliance of her performing in the concerto class.
– Lauren Lisk and Shivani Mahan in Y10 and Ewen Till in Y8 on being selected to be in the National Youth Choir of Great Britain.