The Arrow is a magazine which is published annually by a Year 12 Sixth Form editiorial team, reflecting various highlights of the school year; news articles, interviews, reports on school trips and events and the wider aspects of school life. It is available to purchase during the Spring/Summer Term from the editorial team at various school events, including our July Open Afternoon and usually sells out, with proceeds to our partner school in Tanzania. You can read past copies here which are posted several months after publication, after the Autumn Half Term in November.
The Arrow – a brief history (reference “A History of Owen’s School (1613-1976)” R.A. Dare B.A.)
James Easterbrook (Headmaster 1881-1909), started the first school magazine during his time at the school in Islington, called “The Owen’s School Magazine”. It was sold at one penny a copy and produced monthly for just six months in 1892, containing mainly articles with information from outside of the school.
“The Arrow” was born in May 1899 under a separate team, still with support from the Headmaster, entitled “New Series” and began to be published twice a term. It continued it’s long life, until during Gerald Jones’s period as Headmaster, (from 1962-1973 (Islington) and up until 1981 in Potters Bar) when due to costs, it reduced from three issues to two magazines a year. The oak paneled Old Library, now displays archived copies of The Arrow and its equivalent in red leather bound books from 1886-1953.
The Arrow 2016 – to be published online April 2017