This week we had the privilege of hosting HM Royal Marines Band in the Edward Guinness Hall at Dame Alice Owen’s – a wonderful day for our music students who were treated to a series of workshops & performance tuition culminating in a combined showcase performance alongside this group of talented musicians.
We are extremely grateful to Lance Corporal Harry Page, a DAOS alumni, and his brother Arthur, current DAOS teacher and alumni, for organising this brilliant opportunity.
Colour Sergeant Andy Hall offered advice and direction on a wealth of areas including:
- Breathing to all start together.
- Playing the rests – silence being just as important.
- How to play dynamics and the importance of more air to play quietly and maintain the quality of sound.
All of the students involved in the Second Band and Concert Band were excellent but there were a few notable performances including:
- Fantastic Horn solo in Band of Brothers by Jess
- Thomas playing the drums in the YMCA with the biggest grin (as the Year 7 audience did the actions!)
- An awesome trumpet line that tool the whole back row of the stage
- Matthew for absolutely smashing the traditional drum solo in the Final Countdown
The final showcase programme was as follows –
Royal Marines + Second Band:
Raiders March – John Williams
Sailing – Rod Stewart
Royal Marines Band Collingwood:
Rest – Frank Ticheli
Royal Marines + Concert Band:
Avengers – Alan Silvestri
Jurassic Park – John Williams
Band of Brothers – Michael Kamen
Final Countdown – Europe arr. Ronn Segbregts
An enlightening and exciting experience for all involved – thanks again to HM Royal Marines Band Collingwood